Filling the bottle-shaped hole is a phenomenon to which everyone who quits drinking will almost certainly relate; all those hours of spare time during which we are no longer numbing our every sense demand to be filled with other things. But just how do you go about choosing what to do with your new found and hard-won free hours, and how can you motivate yourself to get started in pursuing a new activity?
What are the challenges people face in filling a bottle- shaped hole?
- Many people find change unsettling.
- There are suddenly acres of time to fill (drinking both uses and wastes time).
- Many people worry that they will appear boring when they cut out alcohol – and also that they will no longer enjoy the things they used to love doing when drinking.
- Drinking heavily for a sustained period usually results in a loss of confidence.
- The seemingly endless possibilities that open up can appear exciting yet scary.
- Some people may feel frozen, stuck or overwhelmed by decision-making.
Give yourself permission…
Before you can begin to fill that bottle-shaped hole, it’s essential that you give yourself permission to truly nurture & look after YOU. A good way to begin filling your time is to get into the habit of enjoying a pampering night – treat yourself, relax, and start dreaming up ideas for your new alcohol-free lifestyle…
You’re likely to have more energy
Stopping drinking WILL involve making other changes to your life – you’ll have more energy as well as time, and you probably won’t want to socialise as much with heavy drinkers. Becoming alcohol-free equates to an opportunity for personal growth. Who knows what interests you will develop, or where they will lead you? When I quit drinking, I viewed sobriety as the start of an exciting new chapter in my life – and I’ve never looked back.
Where will your decision to become alcohol-free take you…?
Editor’s Note :
This is a really important area and Lucy has made some great suggestions. We’re putting together Irish details on alcohol free activities and we’ll publish this online. Don’t forget to sign up for our emails so you know when it becomes available.